Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In class, we continued going over the poetry packets. Although, I was a week late to class because I registered late, I caught up with everything that was going on. We went over language: detail, imagery, sensory, and concrete versus abstract. We learned spotting the difference between concrete and abstract with examples like this:
Abstract:
"I'm mad." "I'm angry" "I love you"
Concrete:
"I'm so angry, I just wanted to punch a wall!" "When I look in your eyes, I can see the moon."
These examples helped me realize the difference between the two and how to spot them.


We also went over cliches and the amount of cliches and abstract context in the poetry packet. It was interesting to see the many creative ways authors express themselves in their work. Although, some things were repeated and heard of long ago, it was still amusing and exciting to me. Many of the poems stuck out to me and some was hard to catch on.


A few poems had very concrete writing, a lot of those were my favorite and I enjoyed reading them. Some lines in the poems were very cliche, an example would be, "Her cheeks were as red as roses." This is quote is very concrete in stating the color of her face and gives an imagery of red roses to see as you look at her. It is also cliche because there's been numerous times where red roses is used as a imagery for red cheeks. But, even though that is the case, I still like that quote no matter how overused it may be because it gives us an image of what he is seeing through his eyes of the love of his life.


Jazz Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment